Friday, November 23, 2012

All Those Little Crickets

The first of what is sure to be many tracks from the free jazz epic that was two weeks ago....recorded on 11.10.12 at the Bohemian Cafe in Baltimore


Gary Prince - Guitar, effects
Andrew Klein - Voice, words
Random Barista - "Mocha Latte!"

(free improvisation for guitar, voice, and coffee makers)

I'm playing slide on this one, something I've been doing for the past couple months, after years of avoiding it. The delay sound at the beginning is caused by running two delay pedals simultaneously (an idea I stole from Dustin Wong - check out this great video of him - even though I wind up using mine very differently from him. I can't figure out how the hell he gets his to sound like that). With this sound I am definitely thinking of Steve Reich, and the way he may repeat a figure over and over between multiple instruments, moving just slightly in and out of phase. Not that I really wind up sounding like that either, but that is at least what is going on in my mind.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment